Candle Corporation of America
This facility has the ability to produce nearly a million
candles per day of various sizes, shapes and fragrances. To
keep production efficient and cost effective they had to make
sure their process control systems could ensure the availability
and quality of raw materials and utilities, and at the same
time track production rates, cycle times and machine downtime.
Their entire organization management, engineering and maintenance
had to be able to gather information from a vast array of
OEM production equipment, and present it in a consistent,
easily understood format at multiple locations.
Piedmont Automation worked closely with CCA's engineering
staff to conceptualize and implement a facility-wide SCADA
system based on Wonderware's FactorySuite. The operator interface
(InTouch), the "soft PLC" (InControl), and the industrial
strength database (InSQL) are key components in the system
design. Today, operators and floor supervisors keep close
tabs on production and availability of raw materials, managers
can view hourly, shift and daily production reports and maintenance
and engineering people get troubleshooting information regarding
the quantity and quality of utilities which helps reduce downtime.
- Process control, monitoring and data collection from plantwide
production and utility areas with various PLC systems including
Siemens S5 and S7 processors and Profibus slaves, Simatic
(TI) 505 series processors, and Automation Direct (Koyo)
DirectLogic 405 series processors.
- Utilizes fieldbus and Ethernet networking technologies.
InControl nodes with Profibus fieldbus master adapters gather
data from S5 95U, S7 300 and GE FieldControl slaves. Simatic
(TI) and Automation Direct (Koyo) Ethernet modules provide
communications to their respective controllers.
- The system allows for intelligent marshalling of plant
utilities and raw materials from a single master InControl
application by collecting information from other InControl
nodes, I/O server applications and directly connected I/O.
- Network architecture is highly distributed and scalable.
Approximately HMI 20 SCADA nodes throughout the facility
running a common InTouch application, letting personnel
view any system's status from anywhere in the facility.
System control is restricted by location and operator security
- Detailed graphical representation of machine operations
and process status.
- Custom production reporting with MS Access front-end tightly
integrated with MS SQL 7.0 tables and stored procedures
- Wonderware FactorySuite (InTouch, FactoryFocusInControl
- MS SQL 7.0 & MS Access 97 & Access 2000
- KEPWare & Automation Direct I/O Servers
- Synergetics Micro Systems Syscon Fieldbus Configuration
- Simatic TISoft & Simatic STEP 5
- Simatic Ethernet & Profibus Configuration Software
- Automation Direct DirectSoft
- Windows NT 4.0 Workstation and Server
Client Comments: "The project team worked hand in hand
with our Engineering group to help us achieve our SCADA vision.
Their technical knowledge and creativity enabled us to integrate
many different OEM control systems to collect process data
for analysis and increased productivity."
Senior Project Engineer